Saturday, October 3, 2009

DISCOVERING COMMON GROUND

Yesterday, I made a presentation on business succession planning at the Niagara EXPO and the conversation with the group was facinating!

The conversation focused on the three elements of successful succession: Financial, Organizational and Personal transition. My beginning mindset was on business leaders and business owners contemplating retirement.

But the majority of people in the room were not business leaders or business owners! They were middle managers and even a couple of folks just out of college who were a long ways from retirement. So I 'fine tuned' the presentation to fit their interests and backgounds.

I had a similar experience a few weeks ago when I presented to a group of financial planners. I started talking about business owners and discovered that many in the room had shifted their 'take' on the presentation to their personal situations!

The neat thing about both experiences was that the three part focus: financial, organization and personal resonated with both groups! I discovered that no matter where a person is in their life, when they step back to gain a perspective, they have concerns/interests in all three areas.

They discover that they need to think about where they are and where they want to go - and then make 'life adjustments' to get themselves on track to live a live that will be rewarding and fulfilling to them. They must live their lives by their standards and values, not someone else's.

So I'll keep my three part focus but expand my perspective to a wider range of people including business leaders and owners and others, too.

1 comment:

  1. pete.
    Your 3 part focus is a valuable tool for many people.
    I wonder how the views differ when in organizaitonal transition.
    Recently I was speaking with an exec. about change and he was telling me about the grief felt when one leaves a position for anonther area. I thought, "I have never thought of it that way" just like losing a loved one when a person spends a signinficant amout of time with a org. they feel loss when they leave. This grieving and depression is a natural cycle.

    ReplyDelete